Thread: AX10 turning Super?

AX10 turning Super?

ok, so, I've got an AX10 rig that's currently at 14.5" WB, 4WS+dig, stretching to the new 16" minimum won't be a challenge, however, I'm a bit leary of the 3.2" wheel size requirement.....I've got 2.2" wheels with Panther Leopards on it right now and it crawls like a champ on everything I've pointed it at, but, I'm considering throwing my axial 40 series beadlocks with MoabXL tires that I had for my savage on it after I get some wideners (that adapt the 12mm hex up to 17mm too)....I'm almost worried about being underpowered with a 10T cobalt puller.....and worry about clearance for turning too...

any suggestions/ideas? I'm not wanting to go MOA for this and would like to utilize the rig I've got that was super class legal till the rules change this year......(after all, all I've got to do to make length requirement is a new punisher II driveshaft on the front and some 179mm lower links to make it symmetrical again and then it's set.....)

Re: AX10 turning Super?

I would use the smaller 3.2 max wheel with it at only 16 inches....and then you can cut and shut some actual good 2.2 tires for better traction.

ok.....let me ask what's probably a stupid question.....

is there really enough benefit from the moabXL's to dropping an extra $150 on tires, another $40+ on wheels instead of using wheels and tires that I already have? (I went from FlatIron M3's to Panther Leopards on my rig last tire/wheel change and the only major difference I've seen on the terrain we have to climb here is the extra height that the leopards have...keeping in mind that most of the places around where I am to climb are loose sandy dirt on semi-slick rocks) I'm already planning on soaking the tires in a traction compound to soften them, and seeing if nova has foams that'll fit them, to bring them up to par as far as crawler wheels/tires go....and they're the wide offset so they'll get me a better stance too....

as far as length goes, I've pretty much thrown the "16 inch" mark out the window as long as I get at least 16", I'm actually aiming to hit 17 or 17.5" if my simple parts changes will get me into that length range....if not, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do for lower links....but, if I can keep the weight around where it is now....I'll be happy.....as it is, mine's a 7lb almost-super ;)

its really a durability issue. 40 series put a huge strain on everything.....especially if your gonna comp it.

also going to the skinnier cut and shut tires will help with your turning ability.....with the moab xls your gonna need serious servos to turn them with the scrub radius from widened axial.

servos I'm using were the same ones I had on my savageXL that the moabs are coming off of (cause I never used them on it, too soft and squishy, and ballooned which made it almost impossible to try to control when doing 60mph lol)

as far as durability.....won't the height of any tires that tall cause the same strain? and driveline's all beefed to the point where I *shouldn't* have to worry about breakage....though, I haven't put those wheels/tires onto anything extended that far past the steering knuckle before, so maybe it will cause issues.....

are there better axles to look into for this project? I mean, I want to stay with a shafty, but, if I can liberate my axial axles and keep em to put on a scaler for about what it'd cost me to buy a venom kit (just for its axles) I'd be willing to do that....but, I haven't really heard any reviews that put other axles that much better than what ax10 ones are as far as durability goes.....

**delete**

AW CRAP......I went in and put the wheels on today without the adaptors (set the 12mm hexes inside the 17mm hole) and the thing is gonna be virgin tight on the limit for width, and those tires are so wide they're all but touching the shocks......I've gotta figure out how to make the tires skinny enough not to mess up my ability to steer front and rear.....how do I pull off making them skinnier to not ruin my steering? I mean.....logically if I cut the width out of the wheel the tire will pinch in and up, but, can it REALLY make that much of a difference?

for starters there is no limit to vehichle width in super class.

THe reason i suggest cut and shut 2.2 tires on skinny maxx size wheels is with the width of my moab xls the contact patch is too much for pushing them around the scrub radius without 400+ oz servos. there is reason why all the berg and bully based supers are going to a more manageable tire size.
    I would imagine with wideners on a Axial the scrub would be even greater.
    also you may think your axles are "beefed".....but trust me when i tell you a super class crawler can eat up the best parts available in a true comp setting.
    Also with a shafty axial based rig your strengths are gonna be in making it as nimble and stable as posiible....a monster clod super is simply gonna overpower any other "brute force" style super setups so making up points in the technical sections is gonna be where your gonna have to do it.

If i were you I would get some cheap 3.2 wheels, narrow them to about 1.25-1.5 and cut and shut some Rovers for them. for truck setup shoot for 17.5 wb with 13.5 width....and then i would seriously consider running a droop style set up on it to get maximum stability while still retaining the ability to dragg it over big ledges.

well, tire size is certainly going up.....I went out this weekend and kept fighting with a lot of stuff....though, I blame most of it on the cheap crappy integy wideners....which, I'd never suggest em to anyone again in my life....I popped the dogbones out of place WAY too many times.....taking touch points twice to pop a corner off and fix it.....thankfully I'll be going to the RC4WD style wideners, which use stock axle stubs or the cvd's, which I'll be going to so that I don't ever have to do that again.

I'm gonna cut the axial 40 series wheels down as skinny as I possibly can, and then go from there, since I don't have to buy anything new, but, I'll keep it in mind to consider going after some tweaked 2.2 wheels. how good do you think something like some badlands on narrowed 3.2" wheels? I know they're not crawler grade tires, but, with some nubs removed I can see them working similar to what my leopards do.....(hopefully they don't gum up with mud like my leopards did yesterday)

as far as stable and nimble, so far mine's got that hands down, and it is full droop already, and the 4ws on it makes for a good bit of added agility....

**edit** well, it's official, I've got MIP CVD's on the way now, they were out of stock pretty well everywhere, and TCS had some in stock, so, I grabbed em up quickly.....so, for under $40, I've got a set of what I'd hope are some of the best CVD's I can buy, on their way and ready for my RC4WD wideners that I'll be ordering next week.....

got the stuff in to stretch it....and...now I may have a problem....I have 165mm links and they're putting me OVER 18" wheelbase....and the adapters from the RC4WD to 17mm hex don't actually lock onto the 17mm wheels, they pass right through the center.... :(

once that's resolved, I have to figure out what I'm gonna do for suspension, though, I can already tell it's going to be very limited in its flex.....which, I think is going to be a good thing....