Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locked Up's XR10

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar

Locked Up's XR10

My package arrived this evening!

Buildup will start tonight with the assistance of my "rock dog". I will post up as many pics as I can. A fully detailed version of the build itself will also end up on my website.

Initial specs will include:
    Machined bent links
    Holmes 45t Hand wounds
    sidewinder on 3S
    CC BEC
    Rovers
    Hobbico CS-170
    Spektrum SR3500

Being that this is my first MOA, I'll keep my DX3R until I get used to the extra functionality ... or the cutting brake option becomes available .... or I get a wild hair up my rear for a 4PK.

I'm also looking at doing dual ESCs or a DX6 and will most likely go to an even stronger servo and run 7.2v on it.

I haven't been this excited in a long time!
    "thumbsup"
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -
    LockedUpRC.com

I was thinking of getting an Xr-10 but with having only about a month of RC Crawling under my belt, I decided to get an ax-10 and learn the ropes. Anyways back to topic, Looking forward to seeing this build!

I have a roller & I finally got my writeup done:
    http://www.noeither.com/rc/tech/xr10-1

:thumbsup:

I'll get a body on there tomorrow and will take some better pictures.

LOCKED UP RC
    LockedUpRC.com

looking nice.

I did get all my electronics in last night but it was about 2AM when I got done.
    I had to drive into Austin for today & tonight so nothing new will happen tonight. I do have some pics I'll upload when I get off of work though.
    LOCKED UP RC
    LockedUpRC.com

I got my next batch of goodies in yesterday and spent the night doing my wiring.

My first problem came with my servo being a hair (2mm actually) to long. The CS170 I used for mock-up fit perfectly but the Airtronics hit the motor.

Rather than file down my servo I slapped in some spacers and called it good ... for now. The Alum arm was a no brainer.

Then I noticed the servo lead would be too short to go all the way back. Good thing I have a bunch of random in a box.

This was my first time wiring up dual ESCs and it took a little longer but no rocket science involved. I did place my stuff in the "wrong" locations for a reason, and I'll go over all of that in the next phase of my writeup. For now, I need to get some sleep so I'll just post up a pick of the draft 1 wiring:
    LOCKED UP RC
    LockedUpRC.com

I got a few holes popped in for breathers:

I also got some longer links put in the rear and shorter in the front. I always try to load as much weight up front as I can so I always run a 60/40 setup. I had some old bent links from my wheel king days that fit right in for the lower rears. The upper rears are the Axial 30* bent links with a small spacer. Fronts are obvious but I did throw on some shorter rod ends.

Only problem there is the longer links meant my rear shocks laid down a bit too much. My solution was to make some slightly longer upper shock mounts out of aluminum plate.

The wheelbase is now at 12.25 static and pushes out exactly to 12.5 max.

Here is where I got into trouble.
    I meant to keep the stock center plate and put all my electronics on it. I had a few ideas rolling around in my head about how to do it all, and one of them involved shortening the rear of the plate and mounting my RX up high. I decided against that, then proceeded to stupidly cut the back of the plate off. I blame LSU football for distracting me.

Anyway, I had to rebuild a plate of some sort, so until I get my hands on another stock nylon plate, I will have to make due with some styrene.

I have to travel to Austin this week for a project @ work so I hope to get some testing done while I am in town. we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Locked Up; 09-12-2010 at 05:35 PM.
    LOCKED UP RC
    LockedUpRC.com

I have made some updates to this with more to follow...

Steering Servo - 7950TH
    Steering system - knuckles, chubs are Axial. Tie rod is Chaotic Crawlers
    Servo Mount - Will do a writeup later once I get the bugs worked out
    Carbon fiber Chassis - Axial
    Upper links - Axial
    Vanquish DH procomp II wheels.
    Vanquish trans cases
    45t Motors - Br00d
    Steel Pinions - Axial 15t & 14t
    Motor guards - Cruzin Illusion

When I opened my cases to swap out the trans and do the motors I found no issues with the gears or bearings. Still, I like having everything overkill.

I think the last small bearing left in there is the 5x8 that goes under the upper link mounts. With 2 other larger bearings on that shaft and no signs of wear at this point .... I feel pretty good about the whole setup.

Last thing for me to do will be to cut out a servo guard tomorrow night, tweak springs & the ride height and then de-green the rest of the spacers...

LOCKED UP RC
    LockedUpRC.com

I got some machined gears (Axial), a new battery mount and some mamba micro pros in the XR10 tonight. I also refined my steering servo mount. I still need to finish the rear gears but here is a sneak peek of what I'm up to...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOCKED UP RC
    LockedUpRC.com

Kickass Patrick :thumbsup:

It gonna be ready for Saturdays Comp?

Questions...
    What hubs are you using on the DHs? How wide is the front?