Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Tommy R's Class 1 Truck

i thought ive seen some "lift kit" tabs that work with those SCX frames. it just drops the upper shock mount down like a 1/4"
    would that gain the tire/fender your after?
    what about a old school body lift?
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

That would provide more clearance, but the truck is actually taller than I want it in the pics. I definitely don't want it any taller. If new flares would need to be fabbed, so be it. I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that. :lol2:

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

If you need to make new flares Tommy try using that black plastic liner they use in CD/DVD cases. Ive used it as fender wells and its tough stuff. If it bends, you just bend it right back and it tends to hold its shape, and its shiny:thumbsup:

Team Manager

Thanks, Steve, but if I need to make flares I'm going to make them out of sheetmetal and tie them to the body armor. I do like the CD cases for inner fenderwells, though!

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

what about just removing the big downward lip on the flairs. just leaving the straight out part?
    it would leave the bolt pockets intact for a stock look.
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

Quote Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
    what about just removing the big downward lip on the flairs. just leaving the straight out part?
    it would leave the bolt pockets intact for a stock look.
    Well, I've kinda got two issues with that. The first is that the downward part of the flare extends outward, too, providing much needed tire coverage that I don't want to lose. The second is that everyone always trims the flares that way and I really just don't care for the look....in RC or in the 1:1 world. :lol2:

Sorry, I don't mean to shoot down y'all's ideas! But I've been sitting and starring at this thing for so dang long and I think I've run through nearly all possibilities in my head already! :brickwall:

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

I'm glad I'm not in your shoes right now! After looking at the pics with the body sitting on the frame there looks like a lot more work needed to make it look "smooth & clean". I love the Idea of an LJ, or any jeep body for that matter, but to make it have the weekend warrior look the tires need to be much smaller I think. maybe somewhere in the 3.7" range to scale out to 37's or maybe even smaller.

I say to be good enough to be branded as "TommyR's" work, you'll need new flares.

EDIT: if you do go that route then maybe look into a home made Hyline setup? That would make it sit nice and low
    TEAM DRIVER
    CHEATER HONCHO

Well, if I were going C2 with it, I'd definitely Hi-Line it. Unfortunately, for C1 only minor trimming of the fenders is allowed. I could cut off the flares and completely rebuild them, but I can't really cut beyond the original fender opening in the sheetmetal. Does that make sense?

But you're right. The tires are definitely too large to have the weekend warrior/street rig look I was after. It needs shorter tires and some 1.5 wheels to really complete the look. I'm not ruling that out, but there's no way to get a narrow track width with 1.5 wheels. :cry: And shorter tires may kill its capability. We'll see... I'm still undecided.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
    Well, if I were going C2 with it, I'd definitely Hi-Line it. Unfortunately, for C1 only minor trimming of the fenders is allowed. I could cut off the flares and completely rebuild them, but I can't really cut beyond the original fender opening in the sheetmetal. Does that make sense?

But you're right. The tires are definitely too large to have the weekend warrior/street rig look I was after. It needs shorter tires and some 1.5 wheels to really complete the look. I'm not ruling that out, but there's no way to get a narrow track width with 1.5 wheels. :cry: And shorter tires may kill its capability. We'll see... I'm still undecided.

Ahh, I forgot the rules for C1. I'm not real familiar with 1.5 wheels but from what you say I gather that all have little backspacing? Or do other parts get in the way? Shorter tires will kill it's capability, especially with the longer wheelbase, but I guess you'll have to choose between capability and looking scale.
    TEAM DRIVER
    CHEATER HONCHO

Yeah... To me, the large wheel diameter is a bigger issue than the tire size. But if I go down to 1.5's, the wheels will stick out way too far making it illegal for C1 unless I put ginormous flares on it....and that would look stupid. So I suspect I'll be stuck running 1.9's unless I end up putting narrow axles under it (not likely).

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC