Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommy R's Class 1 Truck

Tommy R's Class 1 Truck

Hey y'all,

I've been accumulating parts for a few weeks and with the Scale Nationals in Montana quickly approaching, I figured I'd better get jiggy with the build. This is going to be my Class 1 Street Rig and it won't be anything special or out of the ordinary at all. It'll be a Hilux on an SCX10 chassis. Yeah, I'm a ground breaker, baby! :lol2:

I originally planned on going pretty far with it. Nothing too crazy, but a nice interior, divorced drivetrain, narrow/built TLT axles, and I was going to run a Felsenfest t-case which would allow me to spin one axle faster than the other. This would mean the Axial axles wouldn't be the only option to run overdrive/underdrive gear ratios. Sounded like it was going to be pretty trick, but time is running tight and as a result I decided to cancel or at least postpone some of those plans. So here's the current plan....

Axial Chassis/Drivetrain:

• Transmission with all Robinson Racing internals
    • RCP front locker
    • Gunnar toobz
    • Axial CVDs with A1 pins
    • Vanquish knuckles
    • Axial aluminum C's
    • Axial OD/UD gears
    • RC Bros rear leaf spring kit and maybe for the front, too (depends on the release date). Otherwise, Hand Bros 3-link up front.
    • RC4WD 1.55 Void wheels and Mud Thrasher tires

Electronics:

• Mamba Max Pro ESC
    • 35t Integy motor, but may go brushless
    • 3s LiPo (brand/size TBD)
    • JR Z9100T steering servo
    • Servo winch (brand TBD)

Body:

• Drop bed kit and interior from pardonmynoob
    • Rear cab/window from Rogue
    • Clear "glass" from RC4WD
    • Custom bumpers and sliders by yours truly
    • Crawler Graphics Yota decals
    • RC4WD flares

So for now it'll be a pretty run of the mill Hilux, but I hope to make it as nice as I can. If I think it's too wide for the narrow Class 1 gates, I'll consider changing out the axles, but that will likely have to wait 'til after Nationals. Anyway, here's the only pic I've got at the moment. Yes, it's a pretty exciting one! :mrgreen:

I'm waiting on some more suspension parts, but in the meantime I'm working on the bodywork. The bed is nearly done, but I have to fill a bunch of holes in the body. Ugh! :brickwall:

You done yet?

Nice parts list.

Ha! Not quite. The bed is done. The cab's holes are filled. And they're bonded together. Not much more I can do 'til I get a package from RPP. I'll be in Miami and Key West starting tomorrow through Sat. so no more progress 'til after that. :mrgreen:

you poor thing.

dont forget your dark sunglasses and camera for miami beach
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

I've got some color laid down on the body now. First coat felt a bit rough and I was debating about wet sanding it. Well, I just put a second coat on and it smoothed out a ton. I'll apply one more coat and then it might be ready for clear. Still not sure if I'll wet sand it before or after the clearcoat. I'm open to suggestions. :mrgreen:

Here's a pic as it sits now. The cell phone did a bad job of capturing the color and metalflake, but you'll get an idea from it...

Made a bit of progress tonight. I got the front suspension in and nearly all tweaked. It's just a standard Hand Bros 3 link setup w/Vanquish high steer knuckles. The suspension can now fully cycle with no interference anywhere, incl. the steering. I've got a set of Zero Ackerman VP knuckles and since I have the room for them, I think I may slap them on to get a bit more steering out of it. The JR Z9100T servo is now in place, too.

Notice the "clearance" between the knuckles and the wheels! :shock: The wheel nuts are super snugged down and, believe it or not, they spin freely!

The track width is just barely too wide to be legal for a Class 1 rig. I figured this would be the case so I've got some RC4WD flares to slap on. Eventually, I see some cast Toyota axles under this rig and then the flares can come off. I could swap the wheels for some with more backspacing, but I think the wheels make the truck so I'm keeping them! 8)

And a taste of what's to come. By the way, there are brake discs behind the wheels....they're just really hard to see because they're the same diameter as the inside of the wheel! :ror:

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar
    I'm surprised how much "dish" those wheels have.
    :eek2:
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -
    LockedUpRC.com

Yeah, they have very little backspacing, but if they had any more, they wouldn't fit due to interference with the knuckles. The track width is very comparable to stock SCX10 wheels.

holy steering
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

Got some good news and some bad news. The good news is I finally have a rolling chassis.

I'm using shocks from a touring car so I don't have to cut the bed. Springs are HPI titaniums, which are quite soft. The travel is quite limited in the rear, but the overall articulation is still pretty good. Otherwise, the rear suspension is a typical 4 link utilizing a R2J four link mount that I won(!) in a Scale Comp in San Antonio back in December. Thanks, R2J!! "thumbsup" You can also see the slipper has been removed, which allowed the body to be moved forward like I'd hoped. :)

The front is a pretty typical Hand Bros 3 link/track bar setup, but I spent a lot of time with various linkage geometry and clearancing parts to ensure there's no binding or interference anywhere.

Here's the bad news. A stock SCX10 is supposed to be 11.4", which is perfect for a Hilux. Well, my wheelbase is nearly 12" and I'm not really sure why! I'm using the stock SCX10 skidplate for the lower mounting points. I'm using the same length lower links as a standard SCX10 (91mm). And I'm using standard endlinks. Not really sure why my wheelbase is 1/2" too long? :shock: