Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little ol' Datsun

A little ol' Datsun

Time to get some Micro action going on this site. :thumbsup:

This rig is already done, but I'll post up the build for those of you that might be interested.

The project was the remnants of an old built Monogram Datsun pick up that I've had since the mid '80s. (I've built 1/24-1/25 scale kits most of my life)
    Here's basically where I started-

I gave the model a bath in some Purple Power cleaner, then did a quickie mock-up with the Micro Crawler tires:

First thing I did was hack out the fenders for tire clearance. I also decided the bed needed to be bobbed & taped off the area to be removed-

Then I forgot that I had a camera. :Shaking:
    I started hacking the bed up for the bob, & before I knew it the Datsun was bobbed, dovetailed front & rear, and the doors had been opened up-

When I doved the rear, I cut out the raised "Datsun" lettering on the 'gate. After pinching the bed, I did a little surgery & reattached the "Datsun" & putty'd it in. I applied filler in the other neccessary areas as well & sprayed the body with a coat of primer-

Last edited by TexasJeff; 03-23-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling

I wanted to fab up a ladder type chassis that used the stock Losi link mounting design. I drew up a design, then cut out a mock-up chassis from .010 styrene sheet & glued in some crossmembers. Then I test fit it to the body-

Everything looked to be good to go, so I laminated two pieces of .040 styrene together & traced the design onto the newly made .080 stock-

Then it was time to head outside & break out the old scroll saw-

Next I drilled out the holes for the ball link mounts & the skid plate. I mounted the skid & glued in some temporary crossmembers-

Then I made up some new links & put together a rolling chassis & figured out the shock mounts-

Got a little ahead of myself......
    Pic of the truck before I got things ironed out-

Now then, after the roller was together it was time to set the body in place to see how things were looking-

I took some styrene rod & fabbed up a front bumper-

I had to modify the interior bucket for clearance, but I was able to run a full interior. I took some metal duct tape & used it to simulate sheet metal door panels-

At this point I needed to figure out the body/chassis mount. I bent up some angles & bolted 'em to the chassis, then I glued strong craft magnets to the angle. Next I glued a couple strips of metal to the bottom of the interior tub. I also notched the rear of the body to clear the chassis rails. Its just a matter of lining up the body to the frame, & the magnets hold the truck together very firmly-

I used some Testors brand metallic green spray paint on the body, & sprayed some satin black on the chassis & hood. I modified a sprint car driver figure I had laying around to fit the truck, too.

I don't have an indoor course for my Micros- I run them outside on a rockpile made up of real rocks & chunks of concrete. So outside the newly completed rig went for some action-