Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommy's Big Willy

Sweet Tommy, bout damn time!

Team Manager
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

Thanks, Steve. Yeah, I've been pre-occupied, but it feels good to be working on this thing again.

A bit more progress.... Servo is now mounted.

Profile shot. I wanted the servo arm to be able to clear under the chassis for full steering throw. I didn't want it limited at all.

Front shot. Minimal intrusion of the servo behind the grill. Once everything is painted flat black, it should blend in really well.

Under the hood. The motor/trans isn't mounted in the pic, but there's ample room for it all. The battery (5000mah 3s) will go behind the firewall.

NICE! i ran my battery in the same location.
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

Good to know. Thanks, Cory! Man, I hope you build another one of these soon. I think it's going to be a blast to drive, but may kinda suck only wheelin' with smaller scale rigs. Come join me, man! You know you wanna! :lol2:

Made some good progress last night as I was trying to finalize my plans for a track bar mount on the axle. I was struggling coming up with a clean mount and then it dawned on me and I think I came up with something extremely clean and simple. Hopefully I'll have some updates later today. Hell, it may even be a full-on roller by the end of the night. :mrgreen:

Got another update. I finalized the track bar mounts and the upper link. The links are all temporary for the moment while I determine exactly how to bend/orient them to get maximum clearance.

Here's the driver's side mount, which also mounts the front bumper (not pictured).

And I present to you the world's simplest track bar mount! :lmao:

Front view of the suspension.

I'll mount the springs/shocks to make it a roller. Then I'll tweak/build all the various links and work on the front bumper/winch mount.

Ladies & germs, I'm proud to say that we now have a ROLLER!! :mrgreen:

Some random pics...

Obligatory flex shots! :ror: The rear has more in it, but not enough weight to get there.....yet.

Hammer's happy to be back in the spotlight after so long!

"Gimme some driveshafts, Tommy! I wanna go wheelin'!!"

I still have a long way to go. The links need to be tweaked a bit and some new ones will be fabbed from heavier duty stuff. There's plenty of clean-up work to do on the body and axles. And I decided not to use the original plastic bumper and instead will fab up a custom metal one. Then it's on to the roll cage and to take care of paint and all the electronics. Shouldn't be too much longer! :mrgreen:

I should've known I wouldn't be happy with a plastic bumper. :lol2: I'm not done with this bumper yet, but you can see where I'm going with it. I need a place to mount my winch, right? And the shape of it will hopefully provide adequate clearance for more steering throw.

Well, that went kinda quickly. :lol2: I may call it done. I usually run a stinger so I have a good place for the winch hook to attach to, but I think I may leave this one bare. Who knows, maybe I'll do more to it, but if I want to make this month's comp I think I'll leave it for now and move on to more pressing items.

That came out really clean tommy! Looks like you used steel plate with a combo of braze and weld, I like it! Instead of a stinger, how about sinking the winch down, so that only the top half is visible and you end up using a fairlead on the front of the bumper? Lot of work involved, and doesnt help out where to put the hook but I think with your skills and artistry it would look killer.

Thanks, Steve! That's a good idea, but I kinda like the basic mount for this build. I'm building this to emulate a pretty low budget, basic Willys. Your suggestion would look nice, but be too "high dollar" for MC Hammer's budget. :lol2: