Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tommy's Big Willy

The tires definitely contact the shocks/collars. It's worse when the suspension articulates.

Tires get into the bumper, too, but not as bad as with the previous bumper. A little more offset would help, but not sure I want to do that.

I mentioned this earlier, but here's a pic to illustrate. The track bar mount and axle make contact on the driver's side. It doesn't really limit the travel all that much, but it is something I wish I could've avoided. It just wasn't practical to do so. Yes, I know I need to also trim the plastic axle mount.

Overall look as it sits now.

I pulled the wheels/tires off the Wraith to check how the offset would work on this rig. They definitely provide more tire clearance and I have inserts to widen the track more if I need to. I really like the white wagon wheels, but they may simply not have the offset I need to work on this truck. This would likely have me considering a color change from my original plans if I stick with the Mayhem wheels. What do y'all think? And ignore the tires. This rig will definitely be running Swampers. :mrgreen:

I would stick with the wagon wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtsteve View Post
    I would stick with the wagon wheels.
    I want to, but I will need to find a way to widen the track width. Pin mount wheels make that nearly impossible, though. :cry:

get someone to fab up a set of those pin mount hubs a thicker..hammer is broke, but maybe he can sell those gold rimmed glasses :mrgreen:

Did a bit more to the Willys today. Don't know if I mentioned it already, but the front and rear driveshafts are in (MIPs). I'm waiting for another MIP from The Crawler Store to connect the trans to the t-case. I also did a few more tweaks. I shortened the track bar a bit to better center the axle and I also determined the right length for the drag link.

Here's some pics...

Ride height:

Full droop:

Full bump:

The "pitman arm" screw hits the tie rod at full bump, but since that will rarely ever happen, I'm not really worried about it. Under normal driving conditions there's plenty of clearance. But I can always tweak things later on if I feel the need.

I took a video of the bumpsteer. I think I nailed it! :mrgreen:
    http://youtu.be/AdfUgqJNSNI

I would agree that you nailed the bump steer, or lack there of perfectly!

Tommy, very nice work indeed and thanks for sharing the process steps with pics.

Quote Originally Posted by gidy_up15 View Post
    Tommy, very nice work indeed and thanks for sharing the process steps with pics.
    Thanks!!

All wired up and ready to run. The rx is in the top right of the pic oriented vertically. The heyok controller is also tucked up under there. I think the location of everything else is pretty self-explanatory.

And with the battery in place. I still don't have a battery tray, though. That'll be tomorrow...

Sounds so cool with the fan running! :mrgreen:

I'd get some video, but it would be boring indoor stuff so I'll wait to get some outdoor footage soon. Suffice to say it's pretty dang loud, but it's a bit faster now that the motor is running better. BTW, the weight is up to 9 lbs. without Hammer.

I hinged the hood this evening. It works pretty well, but I'll add some magnets to secure it better. I don't have any pics.....but I do have some video!! :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAy2HrwXxsY