Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommy's Big Willy

Tommy's Big Willy

Hey folks,

After all the stress of building/prepping a competition oriented scaler (Big Oly) for the Montana Scale Nationals and for TTC, I decided to venture into a new and very laid back RC adventure. After seeing all the great scale videos of guys running GI Joe 1/6 scale Willys, I thought it'd be a great idea to build one up. So I started looking for just a body and ended up picking up a partially completed project that came with a lot of the goodies I wanted.

The plan is to build a civilian style Willys with some reasonable detail and just have fun with it. Here's a list of some of the parts I have:

-2001 Hasbro GI Joe '41 Willys
    -Wheely King axles with aluminum goodies and CVDs
    -RC4WD Disruptor t-case
    -Axial trans
    -55t motor

Not sure if I'll stick with the 55t motor, though. This thing has two gear reductions and I think the speed of a 35t may be better. But above all, this will be a realistic crawler so it won't have crazy wheelspeed. I have some 2.2 Delrin CAC wheels, but those may change depending on the style I want for this rig. For now, it'll get a Hitec 7950 steering servo, but if/when I build a new Class 3 rig, the Jeep may have to trade down for something cheaper. Driveshafts will be all metal, a BEC will power the steering, and either a Sidewinder or a Mamba Max Pro will handle 3s power delivery. I understand the Axial axle internals fit in a WK axle and if so, I think I may overdrive the front axle. Not sure if I'd want to underdrive the rear, too, but maybe.

Anyway, enough yapping. Here's some pics.... :mrgreen:

This thing has great detail!

Here you can see the nicely upgraded WK axles and where the Disruptor t-case is located.

Under the hood has plenty of room for all the electronics.

First thing I'll work on is to get the suspension sorted out since it has a lot of bind and axle swing currently. Then I'll start working on the cage work, electronics, paint, etc. Should be a fun build!

I dig it! You could add a trac bar front and rear to locate your axels with out loosing too much flex?

Cool! Now I need to get busy with Corey's old M38! Its sitting in my office as a roller but I guess I have to bring it back to life!

Quote Originally Posted by Bottoms Up View Post
    I dig it! You could add a trac bar front and rear to locate your axels with out loosing too much flex?
    I'll likely keep the rear as a semi-triangulated 4 link. The front will likely start out as one, too, but I'll see if the bumpsteer is too bad after I get the servo mounted and then decide if I'll leave it that way or make a 3 link with a track bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso787 View Post
    Cool! Now I need to get busy with Corey's old M38! Its sitting in my office as a roller but I guess I have to bring it back to life!
    Yes, you do! :mrgreen: It'd be great if we could get some more large scale Jeeps in the area. :thumbsup:

Since I want a chassis mounted servo I had to swap around my motor/trans to make room for it. So yesterday I flipped the trans input shaft and moved the motor to the passenger side which required all new mounting holes for the tranny. Now I should have room for the servo on the driver's side of the engine bay. I also removed the slipper so I gained a bit more room with that.

I ordered up a fan from RCP and will cut out the radiator area behind the grill for it. I'll likely cover it with some fine mesh, but we'll see how it looks first. It may be fine without it?

I also tore down my front axle and installed an RCP locker and Axial gears and the WK CVDs. Everything went together really nicely! The rear axle will also get RCP/Axial internals. Eventually I may overdrive/underdrive it, but that doesn't need to happen just yet. I've got bigger fish to fry like getting the suspension sorted out, the steering servo installed, etc. I'm going to see if I can get it ready for a test run by the end of the weekend.

No pics yet, but there's really not much to see yet. I hope for that to change soon. :lol2:

In between working on rebuilding the front axle on my 1:1 Jeep, I had some time to play around with my 1/6 Jeep. 8) First, I got the fan in from RCP. Wow, talk about fast shipping!! :eek2: With some clearancing and the help of a holesaw, we now have this (with mock up hardware):

I'll add some screen mesh in front of the fan. :thumbsup:

Rear suspension is mocked up now. I either reinforce the framerails so they don't get pinched or I'll just use shorter hardware and only go through the inner wall. I don't really like the axle swing of a semi-triangulated setup so I may end up making it a three or four link with a track bar, but this will work for now. Still undecided about the front.

I think I'm going to have to nickname this rig. For some reason I'm thinking "Hammer Time" would be a good one.....

DUDE!

this is awesome, i have one of these jeeps too, but it doesnt have the chassis and isnt as cool at all, the under side looks like a train wreck, and i love the driver.

Thanks! :cool2: I'm about to get back to working on this thing soon.....hopefully.

Well, here it is Christmas day. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the trip home to Louisiana this holiday so I find myself hanging around the house, drinking some good coffee, and watching A Christmas Story in front of a roaring fire while I make the best of things. Then it dawns on me... I could be working on Hammer Time!

Okay, truth be told, I started tinkering with it last week, but I'm hoping to make a bit more progress today. So here's a loooooong overdue update. Can't touch this!

Here's a rough outline of the servo placement. It's pretty far forward because I need to leave room for a panhard bar behind the "pitman" arm. Yep, I decided to just "do it once, do it right" and the Willys is getting a proper 3-link and track bar right off the bat.

Front view. I'll likely have the tie rod under the knuckles and bend it around the pumpkin so I can max out the steering.

Front axle placement. It's only got lower links right now. Still need to work out the upper link for final placement.

Here it is mocked up near the ultimate ride height and wheelbase. Right now it's sitting right at 12.5". I'm curious how this stacks up compared to the other Willys builds out there? :)

The front links turned out substantially shorter than the rears. It's okay, though. I wanted long rear lowers to help reduce rear axle steer as the 4-link/Y-link cycles. I was hoping for longer links up front, but I think it'll be fine. For the time being I'm running 70mm lower links up front. I think I'm running 98mm rear lowers.

Now it's time to figure out a servo mount which will also double as the track bar and front bumper mount.