Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Bullitt's class 1 Cherokee

  1. #11
    Long Tall Texan Bullitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Beeville
    Posts
    42
    Thanks fellas, but this time it was all my fault. There are a couple sayings that I use a lot, and this time, I used them on myself.
    1st- Don't put the cart before the horse.
    2nd- A blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.
    I was way ahead of myself when I said that the coil springs were not going to work. I had forgotten the second most important component on the front suspension...the shocks. The shocks will limit the suspension droop and its max compression. I had already pulled off my lower coil mounts and re-arranged my suspension mounts. So I mounted my shocks like I was going to do anyway and I noticed the travel was much less than I was trying to give it. I modified my lower coil mount, put back in place, and added a couple coils. It works. Now I just need to get a softer coil and I think I will be set. I still need to adjust the links so my axle is level during the suspension cycle. There is enough compression in the springs that they are not going to fall outat max droop, but still easy enough to remove.

    Shocks mounted


    Looks close to stock


    I think it looks better now


    Finally a use for the bronze bushings


    It works!


    Harry

  2. #12
    Long Tall Texan Bullitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Beeville
    Posts
    42
    It's been a good while since I posted about the Cherokee, but for the most part, I have not done much with it until recently.
    I made my body mounts which I think will work well. I wanted hidden mounts and I made my own versions of my favorites.

    Styrene bolted to the grill and hidden by the grill decal


    The mounting holes






    The rear body mount


    Rear mounting tab




    I think it looks good.



    Time for the gold



    I went back and beefed up the suspension







    Rear shock mounts and battery tray



    Electronics installed



    Servo installed






    More decals



    The first run!





    And it is a runner and a fine one at that. I need to replace the Rancho red springs and replace them with some softer rated coils. The rear leaves are fine, but I may pull one out for a bit more flex. The end result is I wanted a version of my Cherokee if I had kept it and lifted it. Nothing to crazy, just a good running trail rig. I still need to trim the body, get another can if gold paint to finish the job, and start on the detail items (tire rack, roof rack, headlights, etc).


    Thanks for looking.

  3. #13
    Long Tall Texan Bullitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Beeville
    Posts
    42
    I have been jumping from project to project lately and I have been giving the XJ some love the last few days. As ingenius as I thought the hidden front body mount was, it was not going to let me mount a bumper up front. Things had to change and still be hidden. Here is attempt #2.
    Now it has hooks!



    And pegs too...



    We're connected!





    As far as the bumper is concerned, I don't care what it was made from. It is going to be a trail rig and not a crawler. The only purpose is to cover the servo and give me a place to mount the fairlead. The places I / my kids will probably run it is nothing more than a dry and sandy creek bed with lots of room. Bring on the styrene!

    The backside



    The front started












    I took the middle one out and let him run the XJ and I think I got enough video to make a decent video :D

    Harry

  4. #14
    Long Tall Texan Bullitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Beeville
    Posts
    42

    Post

    Here it is finally and behind the wheels was my 7 and 11 year old boys while I was behind the camera. Be gentle fellas:o

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjX6RVwCQ8M


    Harry
    Last edited by Bullitt; 12-27-2013 at 01:47 PM.

  5. #15
    Long Tall Texan Bullitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Beeville
    Posts
    42
    After looking over the Cherokee the other day, I noticed that the plastic suspension mounts were starting to crack. I knew they would, but I was hoping they would have lasted a bit longer. I used the originals for a template and made new mounts out of some old brackets I had. After that was done, I noticed that one of my leaf springs had popped out of its mount. I decided to go ahead and 4 link the rear and a few hours later, the Cherokee is ready for more trails with the boys. I also finished up the battery mount. Here is how it looks now.







    Harry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •