Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sgtsteve's Class 1 XJ/H2

Sgtsteve's Class 1 H2

Hey fellow crawlers, I started gathering parts for this a couple months ago and just about have everything I need to get it running. Now its time for fab work so here are a few pictures to get it started. If the title confuses you let me explain. I wanted to do a Cherokee XJ build for a while now but didn’t care for any of the interior options out there. Being that I am not very good at styrene I was on a mission to find a detailed interior that would fit the body. My friend Patrick of LockedUPRC.com happened to have several H2’s for sale so I bought oneand ripped out the interior. Low and behold it’s a near perfect fit. Below are a few pics showing how well it lines up and how its length is near perfect. As the pictures will show, the only trimming you need to do to make it fit is on the sides, the door sills if you will (marked with yellow lines). Trimming these down a little will allow the body to sit down over the interior perfectly.

Body – for now – Proline Jeep Cherokee XJ – I say for now because after looking at the H2 up close and personal I was blown away at how detailed and solid it is and the temptation to do an H2 is strong. Besides, I have always liked the H2 and already have a Jeep in the garage:thumbsup:

SCX-10 chassis

Axial tranny (no slipper kit from Locked UP RC) 87t spur 17t pinion for now.

Holmes Hobbies Torque Master Pro Hand wound brushed motor – 25t

3s 1000-1300mah batteries – not sure which size to get, really depends on how everything fits.

Tekin FXR - Need to get my FXR fixed or just order a new.

Tires are the RC4WD Mickey Thompson MTZ’s in the new SS compound.

Axial CVD’s with stock SCX-10 hexes.

UD gears in the rear - soon

Hitec 7954SH servo (over 400oz)

Locked UP Servo Winch – comes with a Ripper spool made by Warpig, HV HeyOk controller, MadDogRc winch hook and plenty of 80lb scale winch line!:mrgreen:

Pics of the H2 interior (which are now sold separately on Locked UP’s site)

Cherokee body trimmed up

H2 Interior under the Proline Cherokee body

I will post up how I fit the interior to the chassis once Im done with it. Im also getting more pics of the chassis and CMS setup and will post those soon as well:thumbsup:
    Last edited by sgtsteve; 03-11-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Team Manager
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar
    That IS a nice fit ....
    :mrgreen:
    LOCKED UP RC
    LockedUpRC.com

Updates, son! Updates! :mrgreen:

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

I know..I know..I will post some updates tonight:thumbsup:

Team Manager

Ok, here we go. For a while now I have been planning on this being a Cherokee build. However, once I got the H2 body in my hands and felt how solid it was, along with all the fantastic detail and the fact that I always really liked the body, I decided to use it instead. My focus with this build is to keep it as clean as possible but still strong.

So far I have the rear bumper made up and just needs a little adjusting to fit perfect. I like the factory shape of it, but worried about getting hung up on the rocks and needed tow points so I did this:

Still need to round off the tops of the tow points

Underside of the bumper.

For the front bumper I really wanted to keep as much as I could. I trimmed the bottom 1/3 off and will add a metal bumper under it that will just barely stick out underneath, to protect it.

For interior and body mounting I found it pretty easy. Using body posts, couple custom mounts and a little trimming it fits great.

Rear mount - 2nd pic shows how I trimmed the shock hoops but dont show the body post mounts.

Front mount

Interior trimming

CMS setup, came out really good in my opinion.

Still need to mount the electronics and servo winch, which is the RTR Servo Winch from LockedUPRC.com. I will get a review of it done this weekend:thumbsup:

Servo winch and MadDogRC hook which comes with it along with 80lb synthetic line and HV Heyok controller (secured in the servo case).

Close up of hook and aluminum spool

I will post up more of it this weekend:thumbsup:

Team Manager

Nice work, Steve! And kudos for not using a lexan body! :thumbsup:

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Thanks Tommy!

Team Manager

I was able to fab up a front bumper that should protect things pretty well.

Also got a temporary battery and electronics mount made up along with a servo winch mount at the rear. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to get a guide made up for the line so it will have to wait till next weekend.

Battery on the lower level, electronics up top. Once I get the sliders done I plan on mounting the batteries on top of those like I did the JK to get that COG down low. On that note, since the space between the “future sliders” and bottom of the interior is shallow, I think I might have to go with 2s batteries. Since I will have 2 of them on board, I might as well go with a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL and wire the batts in series for 4s power! Just a thought.

Had to redo the front mount due to the bumper mounting but I think it came out really good and clean.

After next weekend’s comp I plan to redo the front and rear bumper, typical.

Team Manager

Where's the updates ?

Coming soon... expecting on some parts and ran out of material which I will pick up this weekend.

Team Manager