Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My TrailFinder 2 build thread

Cool My TrailFinder 2 build thread

I am not real sure how the classes break down, but I think my new TF2 will be class 1 :question:

Anywhose the kit arrived @ my office yesterday morning and I took'er home! As much as I wanted to dive in right away I have a Dingo kit already working and it's already in the final throes. Got a bunch of hop-up parts for it yesterday as well, so I showed some restraint and worked on that last night instead.

One thing I know about Scalers with Beadlocks is that the wheels with all those tiny screws can take a long while to assemble so on the way out the door this morning I grabbed the tires, wheels, a couple allen wrenches and some threadlock. I just finished putting the wheels together on my lunch break! :thumbsup:

Next to the wheels it looks as though detailing the body is going to be the most time consuming part of the build and I really want to do it right!. I guess it does not matter because I am going to paint it anyway, but my body was molded in Yellow! :Shaking: I would much prefer grey or Silver or even a rust color! But as I said it's a minor thing.

Will up load the pics I have so far later. :popcorn:

Thumbs up TF2 Photo's

Plenty of these photo's of TF2's in the box out there, mine look pretty much the same! :blah:

Oh! Some primer on the body tonight

wheels assembled!
    Last edited by masmojo; 03-06-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Exclamation Progress

Will post new pictures later, but mostly a progress report, this has been on the back burner while I finished my Dingo which is now done (pretty much )

Just looking at this kit, you would be led to believe it's pretty easy to build and it is if everything goes to plan, but mine has not been going "to plan"

First the rear window panel has been resisting my attempts to be glued in properly! :brickwall:. Normal testers styrene glue did not work (X2)! My first attempt with super glue was only partially successful and I am not sure how long my last super glue attempt will hold, but it seems to be O.K. for now! :Shaking:

Next? The paint! I got what I thought was a gold metallic from Loew's, but it was actually just gold and looked pretty bad! :cry: So, I went to an auto parts store and got some Duplicolor Champagne! Much better, but man I was having a hell of a problem on this build with orange peal, Even the primer orange pealed on me and I have never seen that before. Might not be surprising if I had not prepped the body properly, But I did! I roughed the surface with 600grit, washed it W/ soap, rinsed thoroughly and let it dry! But still, the Primer wrinkled, the gold wrinkled and the Champagne orange pealed as well!! :brickwall: Man what a beat down! Anyway I was determined not to let it get to me so I wet sanded it each time and finally started to lay down VERY light coats, hitting it with a hair drier between each coat! Finally after about 10 light coats I was able to start laying it on a little thicker. The upside of all the light coats is that the paint has allot of depth and looks pretty good. Last night I hit it with a sealer/clear coat and it really pops now.

Anyway, Hopefully I will not encounter anymore headaches! :pan:

Cool Progress pics

Coming along

Nice! I'm digging that color scheme.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar
    Paint looks great!

BTW,
    What primer did you use?

I used some stuff from Home Depot that said something like "bonds to plastic" ... I think it was rustoleum and it worked well. The Tamiya paint i tried gave me fits but the primer was great.
    LOCKED UP RC
    LockedUpRC.com

Cool RE: Paint

Thanks, I was not real sure about the black on the bottom after I sprayed it, BUT it was a bit too late to turn back! :lol2:

I spent last night building the chassis and am about 90% done; threw the body on it and now I think it looks O.K..

There was a special edition of this truck in 82' that was a similar color, but I only ever saw it in 2WD; this truck being 4WD I figured it needed a bit more agressive paint scheme.

I used Valspar primer, not the Fusion stuff for plastic (although theres nothing wrong with that). It's just that this body is pretty much some sort of Styrene and any model builder with tell ya that styrene takes paint pretty well! :popcorn:
    That Fusion paint is more for Lawn chairs and flexible plastics that have that oily feel when you touch them; It's overkill for something like this.

I used the Valspar primer, because the Gold I originally was going to use was Valspar as well.

I could and might finish this build up by the end of the weekend, I just have the steering linkage, servo's and electronics to install. The only think that might slow up completion is that I stole the ESC I was going to put in it for my SCX-10 build and I have not replaced it yet! :Shaking:

New pics SOON!

Are you referring to the Mojave edition?

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

YEp, That's it! I came VERY close to buying one, But ended up getting a Nissan instead. (long story)
    Last edited by masmojo; 03-30-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Cool Progress so far

Body mounted a couple little things to do, but mostly just the motor, speed control & some body details!