Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommy's Class 1 Jeep

looking good

Got some good and bad news....well, kinda. The good news is I am nearing completion of the roll cage and I'm pretty fond of the design. The bad news is I'm VERY rusty when it comes to cage building! I also tried using Safety-Silv 56 for the first times (I usually use 45) and it's got a learning curve to it.

Basically, I first glued the cage together. Then applied a tack weld at each joint. Next I go through and braze each joint. Finally, I'll clean up each joint as well as I can with a grinder and flapper wheel on the Dremel.

So it doesn't look like much right now, but I'm hopeful it'll clean up well and look pretty decent once it's all cleaned up and painted. But at least you can get an idea of what I'm doing...

I applied a magnet to the windshield so it'll stay upright when I want it to.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

looks like the cage I designed in my 1:1 LJ. I've inspired the great Tommy, it kinda makes me feel like I won an award, haha.
    TEAM DRIVER
    CHEATER HONCHO

Quote Originally Posted by bigt2317 View Post
    looks like the cage I designed in my 1:1 LJ. I've inspired the great Tommy, it kinda makes me feel like I won an award, haha.
    You're welcome. It should be considered quite the honor! :redfinger:

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Geez Tommy, nice work. Almost makes me want to build one, but I wouldnt want Scott/Travis whoever the hell that is, to get an even bigger ego:mrgreen:

Seriously though, very nice work! Will it be rollin' this weekend?

Team Manager

Quote Originally Posted by sgtsteve View Post
    Geez Tommy, nice work. Almost makes me want to build one, but I wouldnt want Scott/Travis whoever the hell that is, to get an even bigger ego:mrgreen:

Seriously though, very nice work! Will it be rollin' this weekend?
    Considering this rig kinda looks like both Travis' and Scott's LJs, it might give both of them a big ego! :lol2:

Thanks, Steve. I'm really digging it now. It's far from perfect, but I think it'll clean up nicely once I start applying some finish details. I'll try to get it ready to run this weekend, but it's not very likely. The transfer case right now is a blemish unit, not final production. I'm not yet sure if it'll be okay to run without damaging any driveline parts. It spins free so I suspect it'll be okay, but I asked Matt at Dinky R/C to make sure beforehand.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Well, I'll be darned. Tonight I cleaned up the weld/braze joints on the cage, touched up a few places with some more solder, gave it a little lovin' from a flapper wheel, and after some paint it looks dang near presentable. Go figger! :lol2: It's far from perfect and not quite as nice as I'd hoped, but I'm nonetheless pleased with it.

The pics don't show up too well, but these will have to do 'til I can get some outside pics (after the rain stops).

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

So smooth and clean Tommy, very well done sir!

Team Manager

Thanks, Steve!!

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Well, she's a runner! It's only tentatively wired at the moment with the bare essentials: no winches, no BEC, no bumpers/sliders, etc. But I wanted to get it running because I wanted to test out the Dinky Divorce kit. Is the gearing going to be okay? Is the motor going to run hot? Is there going to be any binding?

So I got it running (on 3s for now) and I'm happy to report the rig seems to have very good low speed resolution and good top speed, too. The only issue I can really think of is that it's pretty loud. I suspect the issue is that I'm running a metal "spur" gear in the Gr7 unit under the hood. I will probably put a plastic gear in there to quiet it down. Other than that, I'm very encouraged by this setup! Hopefully tomorrow I can take it in to the backyard and try it on some rocks....instead of crawling over my shoes in the living room. :lmao:

It's just like a funny car! :ror:

The temp. wiring:

I also bedlined the interior.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC