Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Class 0?

Steve, I'm still VERY enthused about a Class Zero build. But I've been too busy on other projects to get going on it. However, I already have the body (LR3) and a homemade chassis for it. I also have the axles (narrowed TLTs). But before I start (continue?) on it, I'd like to wrap up my Class 1 LJ. Now that this big 1:1 Jeep event is behind me I hope to have some time to play around with it.

BTW, I got your text and the Jamboree was great! I'll post pics later tonight. :)

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

Excellent, hopefully you and Patrick kept em' off the roofs
    Last edited by sgtsteve; 03-25-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Team Manager

im definatly still interested too. but thinking of going different direction than the K5. i cant believe the TLTs arent narrow enough. but i know its the 1.55s killing me.
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

hey guys. thought id throw another idea/direction out there.

Tommy and Steve ive already talked to you about this but thought i would post up some thoughts it brought up.

maybe instead of parameters that define "class 0" we need to do more of factory/showroom/DD class.
    intead of dimensions we need to more go after the feel were all after and agreeing apon.

the 1/8 NB JK is a prime example. a C1 tire is the perfect tire for a factory stock look, but yet is too large for class 0. yet it matches the feel/look i think we were all after.

the other thing that this would open up (droping max tire height and going to a stock scale size tire rule) it would also allow a place for 1/6 willys etc to run in? but this may not be wanted either? may allow a can of worms a place to run, but maybe not necesarily wanted?

i think im still after a 75-100% tire coverage without the use of add on flares etc. stock WB etc. stock/DD looks etc. no tube bumpers etc.

thoughts? the NB JK tire size thing kinda brought this to my attention that maybe our direction rule wise was flawed for class 0?
    2009 Runner Up

Totally agree. And FWIW, I wasn't being serious when I mentioned tire legality in our PMs. Maybe it could be something as easy as:
    Max tire height:
    1/8 scale and larger: 4.19"
    <1/8 scale: 3.75"

Obviously, these are just numbers I just pulled out of my kiester. They can be changed. But considering there's so few 1/8th scale (and larger) rigs, I think this would be pretty easy to police, particularly at the local level.

Or we could just make it "mob rule" and if a rig doesn't visually fit the bill according to the masses, it gets banned and the builder whipped with an antenna! :smokin:

Thoughts?

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Oh, and as much as I love 1/6 scale rigs, I think it wouldn't be such a great idea to include them. Simply because their width is SO much different and it would make setting up courses very difficult.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

another idea would be since 1/10 , 1/9(hilux) , and 1/8 (JK) will all be in the same class. we could do something like "scale tire size must be within 2" of 1:1 stock tire size"? etc thats another route too :cool2:

lol Tommy, reminded me of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pcqVQe-4z0
    2009 Runner Up

I've got too much going on right now to give this adequate thought, but I'm sure we can come up with something reasonable to accommodate rigs of different sizes.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Can we just whip Cory with an antenna anyway?

I would agree that the tire size should be within 1", maybe 2" of the full size vehicles stock tire. The MTZ on the JK would be a good example. If I stick with the D90, I might be stuck with dirt grabbers but I still need to do some research to determine that. I would love the dirt grabbers just for their look, but not being able to get over the simplest obstacles could get old. I think mud thrashers would be the best of both worlds in my case, and I already have one to use as a spare!

Team Manager

I've got some 1.55 Mud Thrashers that I was planning on using on my LR3, but I don't know the scale. I would hope it'd be large enough to run these, but I won't know 'til I get some measurements....hopefully tonight.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC