Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve's Sakura D3 Drifter

Smile Steve's Sakura D3 Drifter

UPS has it out for delivery, I couldnt wait to start a thread:Shaking:.

Ordered a few upgrades, but honestly dont remember which and Im too lazy to look up my order. It will be a suprise when I open the box:mrgreen: For now, I will use the electronics from the Zero and put the old Moped ESC and 15x2 brushed motor in the Zero (for use as a loaner drifter on meet days). I just need to get a cheep servo to put in the Zero.

I also have a few parts coming from Hong Kong to include aluminum front bulkheads, 55deg cvd's and two belt tensioners (designed for the Zero but work on the D3), one for Tommy and one for myself.

I am going to use the BMW body on the D3 and my old Silvia race body on the loaner Zero.

Stay tuned.....

Team Manager
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

Nice.i got my d3 a few weeks ago and I'm lovin it.i would have made a build thread but I can't seem to figure out how to post pics

this is like a stripper keeping her clothes on for the whole damn song.
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

Quote Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
    this is like a stripper keeping her clothes on for the whole damn song.
    one of those really long songs too:mrgreen:

i will take some pics tonight with updates, about half way through now.

Team Manager

This was my stopping point last night. So far the build is going very well. There are few things I would have changed in the design though, mainly in how the center pullys are mounted. Its going to be a real pain the butt to service those down the road. I can think of a few solutions though that will make it easier (like using set screws to hold the gears rather than spring pins).

Here is the front end, motor mount and spur assembly. I opted for the blingy spur gear cover and aluminum spur gear adapter.

Front one-way from the Zero (same as the one made for the D3 but without using the aluminum spacer.

Engine compartment:mrgreen:

Rear end and center pullys

Rear end again, opted for the aluminum rear bulkheads for added support and easier maintenance. Front aluminum bulkhead is somewhere between here and Hong Kong.

First impressions are good. The steering angle is way better than the Zero but I do see limitations and I am not sure how the aluminum steering rack is going to help, if we can ever find one! I do see some trimming here and there will be needed but havent gotten that far to verify what yet. I did get an extra set of c's and knucks so I can go crazy with trimming and not worry. I also need to get another set of front arms so I can try the C hub delete mod. Now for the shocks, which I hadnt noticed before but do have the threaded body, plastic, but still, threaded:thumbsup:

Team Manager

All wired up and even had 5 minutes of daylight to test it out for the time. Compared to a 50/50 car, with identical front/rear weight balance, this car is freakishly hard to drive. I knew it had it built in CS, and I even saw the ratio, but for whatever reason I failed to fully grasp how big that ratio was. Back when I had the Cyclone and was testing CS ratios of about 130%, so the front wheels turn 1 rotation while the rear turn 1.3. During the same 1 rotation on the front wheels on the D3, the rear spin 2.14 times! Im going to go ahead and get a few more pullies to lower the CS to make it a little easier, and then practice, alot! Overall Im really happy I got it though, just a little bummed that I wont be kicking Corys arse at the next drift meet, maybe the one after that though:mrgreen:

Team Manager

Yeah, I think it'll take us some time to get used to CS for sure. I'm still researching, but it appears we could replace the 13t rear pulley with a 15t. Evidently, the belt is long enough to accommodate this larger pulley and it should help reduce the CS ratio. I suspect we could also replaced the rear 22t pulley with something smaller to further reduce it. The only issue is the new aluminum pulleys use set screws instead of spring pins. I wonder if we should just grind flat spots into the shaft or if they sell a shaft with flats already machined in them?

BTW, Steve, can you measure the size of the steering post shims you used? I'd like to pick some up.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

I will check tonight on those shims, but Im pretty sure they are either 10mm or 5mm x .3. The package of shims come with three diff diameters, .1, .2 and .3. Here is the link to the 10mm, which I am almost 100% certain are the ones. If we meet up to drift after next Saturdays race I will give you some.

Team Manager

Quote Originally Posted by sgtsteve View Post
    I will check tonight on those shims, but Im pretty sure they are either 10mm or 5mm x .3. The package of shims come with three diff diameters, .1, .2 and .3. Here is the link to the 10mm, which I am almost 100% certain are the ones. If we meet up to drift after next Saturdays race I will give you some.
    Link? :)

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
    Link? :)
    Oops, forgot to put that in. Here it is LINK

Looking at those metal pullys, I dont think they use set screws, but the same spring pins as the plastic ones use.

Team Manager