Thread: HPI Micro RS4 1/18 Drifter

Thumbs up HPI Micro RS4 1/18 Drifter

well ive been trying to pick one of these up for 3-4 years. they came out in about 2002ish and were discountinued in 2007ish.
    well ive always watched them on ebay but just never was confident in the condition enough of the used cars posted to pull the trigger. well last week somehow a hobby shop put a brand new in box one up and i knew it was my golden opportunity. :eek2:

the drift version comes with the tires and several styles of wheels, spools front and rear, and the D-box gyro.(plan to remove) and oddly enough a full size servo.

sadly this one came with the plywood box Trueno body. which is a shame cause they had some really cool/detailed bodies for it. but i cant complain. estatic to have found a new one. teambluegroove has all the new bodies for them still on ebay.

2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

That is very cool Cory. I see they make a lot of bodies for that wb is sweet. Unfortunately my RC18LM is too long so Im stuck with the racer body unless I sell it, which I might just do now, thanks! Eagerly awaiting a performance report

Team Manager
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

thanks. i just love the scale looks of these. porportions are just so spot on. and no wheel nuts!
    yeah thats whats cool they have adjustable wheelbase and adjustable track width. no parts to buy.
    i dont know why but new parts are still really easy to get for these on ebay.
    ive tracked down a front oneway diff(not new or easy to find) and plan on moving all the electronics forward, possibly even a micro servo and lipo to really move the weight forward. but definatly going to try stock first.

i would say its definatly smaller overall than our RC18s. im hopeing to make a great kitchen and garage drifter. and something i can throw in a suitcase.
    fyi it is rumored that these are going to be rereleased. there was a spy photo from 2013 german toy show...

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/hpi-booth-toy-fair-2013/
    http://www.bigsquidrc.com/tag/micro-rs4/
    2009 Runner Up

Quote Originally Posted by sgtsteve View Post
    Eagerly awaiting a performance report
    well i ran it in the kitchen for 2 minutes then decided to get the camera out and record the first pack/run in the living room.
    its completly box stock. including ball diff in the rear (spool included in the box but not installed) and the D-box turned down to 0/off.

*i was very pleased with drift performance. especially untouched. the tile is pretty uneven in the living room so youll see it spin out a couple times and be pitchy at times but thats the little tires catching on the crappy tile job, not the car. ill do the next vid on garage floor. and like i said this vid was done with litterally 2 minutes of experience with driving the car.

*when i first tryied it i thought it was a bit tail heavy compared to my vdf. but then as you get to driving it you realize the tail weight really helps with not having a front one way yet. you use weight shift to initiate as apposed to the free wheel/rear brake. i would say i noticed the tail weight about 25% of the time in the first 3-4 minutes. then not at all an actually prefered it. luckily moving weight balance will be mega easy.

*power was perfect. a match for my 1:10s. throttle position was 40-75% the whole time. you could actually smell the motor at times which was weird.

*i was worried about the 20-30 degrees(guessing) of steering it has stock, but that turned out to be a non issue. i never needed more steering. it never tries to spin out which is great. so steering angle was never needed. i was really suprised, but this was great. and as you can see in the vid it can turn very tight when needed. it has staggered tires, skinnys upfront. if i ever feel i need more steering i might try putting some wider rear tires on the front too.

very excited! cant wait to start tweaking. first things up. remove d-box, install rear spool, and maybe move just top deck electronics forward (esc & rx)
    i have to say sitting on your couch drifting while watching TV is really awesome:mrgreen:
    2009 Runner Up

Man, I love to get micro rs4. The mini and micro drift cars draw my interest than the 1:10 stuff.

there Back!!!!!!!
    after being teased at the toy fair in '12, and being on rpp as "coming soon" for 6 months, they are finally in stock! and just in time for winter garage drift sessions!
    http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/111230
    http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/111224
    http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hpi111224.htm

mine has been cutting out a bit for some reason. not sure if its the motor/esc, the 72 mhz radio gear, or the old nimh pack, but i may track down some of the new gear from this new one off ebay and update the electronics on this one to see if i can get this one to stop glitching. technically its all new, but been sitting so long im not sure if it just went bad or something.
    2009 Runner Up

Compitition

Found a great deal on one and jumped on it. Complete and ready to drift.

Team Manager

I like your body!

wait that came out wrong...
    2009 Runner Up

Ewwww....

But yeah, I kinda like it as well now that its sitting in front of me. If I had 8 AA batteries or figure out how to bind the esc with my 4pl I could test it out.

Team Manager

well last year I tracked down an old front one way (VERY hard to find/rare). well when I got it in the drive cups on the end were snaped off (plastic) so it was useless. so I contacted the guy and he had his old car still that had another front one way in it. with some other upgrades. so I picked up the lot for $30.

plans were to steal the one way and put it in the current car. but it had so many other upgrades, and steve was nice enough to give me all his stock running gear from his car that I thought I would just build the second car. i had everything to complete it.
    it has the front one way, custom chassis, 150mm belt, aluminum knuckles, steel universals, aluminum pulleys, aluminum wheel hubs, aluminum wheels, heatsinked motor plate for 380 conversion, and a bunch of spare stuff.

2009 Runner Up