Thread: scb trail rider

scb trail rider

My effort to date. Not a scaler, nor a crawler. Having to play the hand I was dealt. It's what I have. Added a ProLine rack to the RR sub-frame with the obligatory (?) spare tire. . . or not. It removes easily. Buried in the image is a fabricated tow strap - probably necessary for a 4x2. Losi LED light kit. This is my go-to for now. // lc //
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, fellow r/c trail riders, scb is officially a trail buggy now. Today went out to White Oak Bayou near my house. Level 1 trail. But that's o.k. for establishing a baseline to modify from. AAR (After Action Review) taken from my field notes reveals the following: 1) gearing too high for a walk-behind - even at present 13/88 @ 16.42 o/a; 2) wrong tires for anything but atop the berm; 3) diff needs locking - or at very least get limited slip w/heavy diff grease; 4) reverse not controllable with the throttle. Seems all or nothing.

Thinking as much as gearing, probably have way too much motor in the 12T BR. Have a 20T BR CEB think I'll try.

All in all, way more fun than an old man should be having. . .

Cheers :cheers:, lc

this ideal seems to be a great one. you can lock the diff by cleaning all the grease out, and filling with JB weld or some really good super glue... i have an ECX 2WD buggy that i locked the diff on (using loc-tite red super glue), and put a bit taller tires on it, and i am running a 4300KV BL motor (9.5T), a 60A hobbywing/hobbyking ESC, spur/pinion 14/96 and a 2.92/1 trans reduction, running on a 2S LiPo. i set up the shocks softer and with a faster rebound rate. for the areas this thing cant crawl, it will jump them and its top speed is 31 MPH, with the rear tire/wheel having an overall height of 2.65", but when i carry this beast out tomorrow to the trails, it will be set up with 1.9 bead-loc wheels on the front and 2.2 extra wide wheels with RC4WD mud-slingers... i cant wait to see how it will perform.

and on the gears, if you can switch out the 48P and run 32P gears, and you will be able to run a setup like 60/8-11, 62/7-9, 64/6-8, 66/5-7 ratios. im not sure how easy that will be for you, but i know on my ECX the trans is built and can use Axial trans parts (besides the diff) and i can put the slipper clutch on there and run the different type/size of gears.

as long as i dont break it before tomorrow, i will take some pics of it on the trails or a few vids and post it for you if you would like?

and the world of RC is all about building, breaking, re-building, and making something new, different, and yours!

Hi spcgriffin88, That would be the ECX boost? Good package to start with - it's a true 1/10; unlike my scb. Sure! Post up some trail riding images and/or vids. Like to see them. Sounds like you've got a trail riding plan.

Yeah, me and JB Weld are good buddies. Locked a couple diffs on Rustlers in times past with it. For my scb trail rider, probably the Kyosho diff locking grease. It's not so permanent and have some in my pit box. At least until I see how favorable the outcome is. 32P vs. 48P gears? Yeah, I really like the 32P 'rock crushers'. I'll have to look at that. 32P doesn't offer the tight gearing changes 48P does. But for trail riding, does it matter? Also, Losi integrates its slipper clutch on the spur gear. Not sure yet if a slipper is even needed for trail riding or crawling? Me? My cars don't do big air, so perhaps if 32P fits up, it's an option to consider. Wait out on that.

Good luck this weekend -

:cheers: lc

and the beat goes on. . .

Working on and off with the trail rider. Got the body OD'ed like I wanted. Still have some brightwork that needs subduing. Went stiffer on the RR springs. Had to for a decent ride height. But then was able to back off on the preload, so end damping result is acceptable. Went lighter on the shock oil all around. Backed off from the 20T BR motor to a 27T BR. Old Midnight2 from the pit box. Always liked that motor. Slathered in some Kyosho diff locking grease. Helps; but still not a full locker. Will order up a gear diff set from Losi and J-B Weld it. // lc //
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aww, man! If I'd known you were going to paint over my Gulf paint scheme, I'd have mailed you the stock SCB body I had left over. :)

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -