15 68.18%
  • Leave it alone and whatever happens ... happens

7 31.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super=unlimited?

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar

Super=unlimited?

Just curious ...

Currently there are not many rules governing the Super class. Apparently some of the guys in other places are entering their 2.2 rigs (and doing fairly well) in the Supper class which is upsetting Super drivers.

So my question is:

Who thinks the Super class rules should be modified to exclude the smaller 2.2 rigs?
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -
    LockedUpRC.com

Re: Super=unlimited?

I think this is a two part problem.

First, If you want different class then there should be rules to keep them different and not cross over.

Second, There needs to be people willing to run Super Class at comps. Judges and course layouts that would keep 2.2's from competeing. Not running Super Class on 2.2 cources.

I think the Class 1 rules are about to change to reflect what they are for Nationals. And that is a minimum 14"WB and minimum 2.9"wheel. Everything else is a go.

And I think that running supers on 2.2 courses is ok. And the reason is this. There are different challenges for the different rig. Just because a 2.2 can make a climb doesn't mean that a Super can and vice versa. One thing that we have done in CenTex is create alternate gates for Supers so that certain climbs are harder or taller or more off camber. But getting a Super to turn on some of the 2.2 courses is much more of an actual challenge than the 2.2's are. So it certainly goes both ways.
    2008 TXRCRCA 2.2 Winner Class State Champion
    2009 TXRCRCA 1.9 Winner Class 1st Loser
    2010 TXRCRCA 1.9 Winner Class State Champion

I personally think if a 2.2 can compete with a Super then let them.
    It's like when we used to pull trucks and tractors. Every once in a
    blue moon a light weight rig would enter a heavier class and win due
    to better driving and abilities of reading the track.
    The only advantage that I see a 2.2 has is it's narrower and it has
    the short wheelbase thus allowing it to navigate the wider courses easier.

IMHO it is the fact that the trend is toward more technical maneuvering type courses.
    You can only do so many "brute force" type obstacles before it starts to get boring or it becomes all about the truck and no so much about the driver. It is this trend and the fact that all the modern advances in tires and technology is only in 2.2 that is allowing a 2.2 to be able to really kick ass on some of the super courses. So if you make a mistake in design on the few brute force obstacles you basically hand the comp to anyone running a 2.2 if they are a decent driver and figure out how to take advantage of the error.

In my own personal opinion I think anything goes in the super class and it is the course designers job to incorprate some obstacles that require a true super to complete. Just simply place a 14 inch ledge, a curved crevice, a nastly undercut and a few other things like that. Then just remove the gate by-pass rule and your done. Now I realize that this easier said than done especially since your limited to what terrain is available but if your running super's that should dictate where you have the comp in the first place.

Other than that, my only other suggestion would be to have one entry per person....and run which ever class you want that you qualify for. Then you can run everyone at the same time and use the same course with various bonus and alternate gate formats. this would speed up comp time dramatically and probably start breaking up the competition more by the level of the drivers than the setup of the rigs. In essence you can run it like a real rock crawling event like we-rock. just have as many classes as you can dream up since everyone will be running at the same time you wont have all the extra time required to put a event for every type of rig ( just have unlimited, pro-modified, modified stock, and some form of manufactures spec classes.)

But one thing is certain and that is the super class needs to start growing.....and since everything is "Bigger in Texas" I think we should take the lead and do everything possible to bring the pizzazz back to what once was the cutting edge class.

i think there should be a 2.2 unlimited class which would allow 4 wheel steer etc. and the current 2.2 class that way we wont have to put up with the super drivers crying about 2.2 beating them.

Quote Originally Posted by TANK08
    i think there should be a 2.2 unlimited class which would allow 4 wheel steer etc. and the current 2.2 class that way we wont have to put up with the super drivers crying about 2.2 beating them.
    ROFL....super drivers are not crying cause a 2.2 beats them...they are crying cause people are setting up a 2.2 course and calling it a super course. The requirements for a fun and challenging course for the different sized rigs are totally different.

IT would be like setting up my 1/64 scale crawler course and letting a 2.2 drive it. you wouldnt get over the first breakover. much less make the first turn even if i made the gates 20 inches wide.

why fix a problem we dont have?

if a guy tries to enter a 2.2 in the super class and makes our comp time in the sun longer, this is texas, we shoot the fucker in the fore head. any questions?
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

Quote Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
    why fix a problem we dont have?

if a guy tries to enter a 2.2 in the super class and makes our comp time in the sun longer, this is texas, we shoot the fucker in the fore head. any questions?
    Sounds a little drastic Cory,

But works for me....................... :lol:

I think that they should be seperate and that rules should be established to create that boundary.