Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash racing motor review

Flash racing motor review

After building a beast of a 2.2 I wound up on a search for a cheap, sensored motor that would provide me with adequate power without getting to be cost prohibitive (read:too much power) to the point I'd start breaking aftermarket parts. I wound up picking up a cheap Flash Racing 17.5T 540 size motor after doing some looking around and figured I'd give it a shot.

For those of you that don't know, my 2.2 rig is far from light. I have yet to get it on a scale but I'd be willing to bet it's north of 9lbs. I initially powered it with a Tekin T45 on 3s lipo but was needing a bit more wheel speed for the loose stuff in the DFW metroplex.

Initial impressions - Quality seems not bad, and really considering the price it seems great. There are no tool marks on anything, and all of the aluminum parts seem nicely annodized. It does have adjustable timing on the end bell for base timing, I'll use a combination of this and C.H.E.A.T to keep this performing optimally. The case and the front end bell are vented, which will make waterproofing difficult however I do not care about this as it's not a mud truck and I'm not real big on risking hundreds of dollars of electronics even if it has been "waterproofed". I do have one concern though on the front of the motor where the windings terminate. The termination ring is exposed and it would be possible to short these to the motor case if something conductive fell inside. I will probably be disassembing the motor and liquid electrical taping this ring to prevent a possible short.

After the initial inspection I wired it all up to my MMP and checked motor rotation and all was good to go. Time to go hit the rocks. With 18/80 gearing low speed control was fantastic. Being sensored I gave up a bit of low speed control with this setup but I gained quite a bit of power and wheel speed. It'll now pick up the left front wheel when stabbing the throttle from a stop, and it'll hop over gaps in the rocks. The motor stayed fairly cool and even though I didn't have a temp gun I was able to touch the can for about 5 seconds. It was a touch hotter than I preffer however I had the timing locked down at 20 degrees and didn't use C.H.E.A.T to keep the heat down. I'll expirement with this over the next few days to get it to run cool, even when it's 100+ degrees outside. I managed to get 2 full packs through it and was left with a smile on my face. Not much else could be expected out of a 2 pole brushless motor, especially for $40.

I'll update this as time goes on, for now I couldn't be happier with this choice for a trail rig.

Good write up Drew, so where did you buy this for $40. I may pick one up for a truggy build soon.

Quote Originally Posted by luenhsing View Post
    Good write up Drew, so where did you buy this for $40. I may pick one up for a truggy build soon.
    www.hobbypartz.com I was in the market for a XERun and when I clicked on those motors I was brought around to the flash racing ones. I don't know if these are an update tot he XERuns as I do not believe they had adjustable timing on the end bells, only through the esc. I saw it as a cheap possible solution rather than burning up my $60 T45 on 4-6s lipo to get he speed/power I wanted. The T45 will move to my CC01 instead.

Man you should work for car action. What does c h e a t stand for.

Quote Originally Posted by xr10 View Post
    Man you should work for car action. What does c h e a t stand for.
    Nah, then I'd just have to keep recycling the exact same articles for the next 10 years and occasionally put a blurb in about a brand new product but not without lining my pockets via the manufacturer first.

C.H.E.A.T - Castle High Energy Advanced Timing - It's pretty much just a function of the esc to advance the timing of a brushless motor to run cooler at low throttle input and still perform well up top. It's an advance curve rather than being fixed timing and is dictated by the esc depending on how it's configured in Castle Link. It'll let you run whatever base timing you want and more advance in higher RPM. Think of it like tuning the weights and springs inside of an auto distributor rather than having the distributor timing locked down. It'll run fine when it's locked down on timing but it'll really only perform well in one RPM range. If you can change it on the fly by motor rpm then you can create something that performs well across the board.

Drew you are one smart man. I really like to pick you brain some time let me know when you have some free time to come by the house I'm off Sunday and Mondays. I usually stay up late sat and Sunday nights and I should have my frame set this weekend to start my truggy.

Drew you are one smart man. I really like to pick you brain some time let me know when you have some free time to come by the house I'm off Sunday and Mondays. I usually stay up late sat and Sunday nights and I should have my frame set this weekend to start my truggy.
    Thanks, I've really just been doing this since I was your son's age. I'll never forget my Traxxas Rustler.... back when it was "new", or when I got into competitive racing and the RC10B2 was the buggy to have... Shoot me a text sometime. I'm working 7p-4a this week, hence my crazy post times on here but next month will be working 11p-7a. I'm usually awake until noon on weekends and wake back up mid evening. I don't have anything going on right now since the truggy is approaching "finished" and my roommate is waiting on custom parts to be manufactured for his 1:1.

Def on that and eney one to one stuff let me know I'm good with fab and know a lot of people. And I have lots of tools.

Def on that and eney one to one stuff let me know I'm good with fab and know a lot of people. And I have lots of tools.
    Know anyone with a tubing bender that has a tubing bender with 1-5/8 dies on a 5" centerline radius? Doing a tube front end on my roommates rx7 to make more room for the turbo LS1 going in. I got the part designed with all measurements but the shop that said they'd quote me on bending the tube has flaked out time and time again. They've had the drawings for 6 weeks and won't return calls or give an estimate. We're about to call up Mike Brink as he's helped me out with stuff like this in the past and will usually bend stuff for me while I wait.

I know a guy in lake worth he built some pre runners. I will ask him for you and I'll ask my tool man to give me a price on a bender I need one eney way. Or try destroyer in Mansfield he does dirt track but all ways willing.