Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SWuper build #2

Re: SWuper build #2

It still wasn't quite ready for State yet though. It seems I have made plenty of sets of Plow Boys for others but never made a set for myself. So I did. I never realized how much shorter the Pro Line bead locks are compared to Thorns or HPI Blasts.

I actually like it though. The Plow Boys have a nice short side wall and they are extremely stable in the Pro Line rims. They take a bit more work to make fit because the inside bead has to be trimmed to fit in the bead lock groove. They hold great though.

These are Panther Soft compound Plow Boys. I am running 12 ounces in each of the front and 5 ounces in each of the rear. I have Kreepy ruby red foams up front and Kreepy pink foams in the rear. I like the combo so far but the tires still need more breaking in. It did hurt me on one climb having new tires at State. Other than that one climb though, they did every line I pointed them at.

Give 20 people the same chassis & axles, and they'll build a crawler 20 different ways.

http://www.crawlerinnovations.com/

For some reason when I first set this super up I would get a glitch in the servos every time the Castle Creation Mamba Max's would do that annoying warning beep if you weren't using it. Thankfully Castle released new software and that fixed it completely. I also programmed the dead band bigger in the Hitec servos. Between the programming and the Plow Boys, I can run a full battery pack without the servos over heating. I also added a Losi Grappler body. So here is how it sits currently:

Give 20 people the same chassis & axles, and they'll build a crawler 20 different ways.

Update:

I first want to thank 666 (Patrick) for hooking me with the aluminum clod cases and for finding me a second black SW2 chassis. I had been looking for an open side plate for a while now in order to lighten up the chassis. I also needed the aluminum cases because I had stripped out two of the plastic cases due to the brushless outrunners pulling the counter shaft out of position.

I also want to thank Bender for a great a chassis and for the advice on how to fix a few things.

Now with that said, I have been working on this Super the last few days. I swapped out the solid side plate for the open one. I also swapped out the plastic cases for the aluminum cases. I made new delrin links for it and shortened the wheelbase.

I was just over 17.5 inches when I ran it at the Texas State Finals in June. I had a few issues with it at State. One was a climbing issue and the other was a break over issue. I have been happy with the soft compound plowboys but they are rather short especially on the Pro-Line bead locks. I decided to shorten the wheel base to 16 inches to help compensate for the break over. I also decided to make the new links in a 40/60 configuration to aid in climbing ability. I have the upper links mounted where Bender suggested as well.

Here's what it looks like now:

Blinged out aluminum clod axles :lol:

With the new links I was able reposition the shocks and get more adjust ability. I can now run them half sprung / half droop. The front shocks are more laid back then before while the rear shocks are standing up more.

Bottom view:

I cut a piece of delrin and mounted a small tray for the BR6000 receiver. It's mounted upside down above the battery.

So I am now a vendor here on TXRCRCA and on RCC and I am of course going to have Super products. I am starting with Super memory foams. They are based off the old Kreepy foams but improved. These are liter weight and a little quicker reacting. Here's a picture of them:

Here is a picture of them compared to the old Kreepy Ruby Red and Pinks. My new super foam is in the back, the ruby red in the middle and the pink up front:

So since I had the tires off to install the new foams, I decided to modify my Plowboys and make them match my 1.9 Cobra tread pattern. The Cobras have been working so well I figured that narrowed Plowboys would be worth a try.

Here they are mounted up on my Swuper:

I got distracted watching NFL football Sunday and made the rear pair wrong:oops::evil:

Ever since I installed the aluminum cases I have been on a quest to lighten up this super. It was over 13 pounds after the aluminum cases were installed:shock:. So with my new foams, the narrowed tires, and removal of some lead weight, I am down to 10.5 pounds"thumbsup". The old Kreepy Ruby Reds are some very heavy foams and slow reacting. Just removing them was nearly 1 pound off the front.

Another reason to narrow the plowboys was to stretch the tire taller. I wanted to change the foams and create an opportunity for the tire to actually wad up which is something I wasn't getting before. Here are some pictures of the results:

All in all I am very happy with the results and performance. I climbed some lines easily tonight that were previously much more difficult. The servo stayed much cooler as the smaller tread patch turns easily. The new foams work much better and the tires actually wad up to grab traction and climb"thumbsup".

Great pictures..
    Don't fix it if it's not broke. Now thats just stupid...
    Sponsored by:
    Radio Control Headquarters http://www.shoprchq.com
    www.rchqonline.com

i like the sooopa, there not for me but i like yours :D

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot@rchq
    Great pictures..
    Thank you :thumbsup: My son had the camera while I was working the controller.

Quote Originally Posted by bl44st
    i like the sooopa, there not for me but i like yours :D
    Thank you for the compliment. :thumbsup:

looks like those foams are gonna work really well. :thumbsup: The rear tires on the other hand. Just playing bud. It seems that you have gotten lighter and gained more traction at the same time. Way to go man. :cheers:
    TEAM BWD Driver
    Team Holmes Hobbies Driver
    Team Anger Inc..Driver

Team JWalker Designs Driver

Quote Originally Posted by bigflex
    looks like those foams are gonna work really well. :thumbsup: The rear tires on the other hand. Just playing bud. It seems that you have gotten lighter and gained more traction at the same time. Way to go man. :cheers:
    Yeah, I really blew it on the rear tires :pissed: What made it worse is that I doubled checked that I had the other three cut correctly before I cut this one :Shaking: Oh well, they still work and they give character to me and the rig. Measure and check the pattern twice or three times and cut once! :rofl: