Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWuper build #2

SWuper build #2

After running three battery packs through my Super pimp cane clod "Grumpy" I knew it was not what I wanted. Over this last year I had talked with a few different forum members on RCC who compete in Super class and they all spoke highly of the SW2. My first 2.2 comp rig was a SW2 TLT and I figured it was only fitting to return to what started it all for me. I contacted 666 and was able to get the chassis items I needed and I was able to trade BILLYGOAT my 17.5 pimp cane for some new revo shocks. Once the items arrived, I took this picture of a pile of parts to build my next super out of.

Specs:
    - Bender Customs SW2 in black
    - 1/2 lower delrin links
    - 3/8 upper delrin links
    - Revo shocks
    - delrin upper link mounts
    - Clod axles
    - Integy aluminum axle tubes
    - Integy aluminum steering knuckles
    - Integy full aluminum gears front and rear
    - TTR CVD's front and rear
    - Hitec 5955TG steering servos front and rear
    - Mamba Max's front and rear
    - BM16 brushless outrunners
    - TTR adjustable motor mounts
    - RC4WD 9 tooth long pinions
    - RC4WD steel crawler axle stays
    - 3S lipo
    - CC BEC
    - BR6000 robot Spektrum RX
    - DX7 Spektrum TX
    - Hot Racing aluminum 23mm wheel adapters / wideners that have been modified
    - Pro-Line narrowed Cheyenne bead locks
    - Pro-Line Moab XL's that have been modified
    - Kreepy ruby red foams in front
    - Kreepy pink foams in rear
    - Pro-Line '72 C-10 Chevy body (?)

Give 20 people the same chassis & axles, and they'll build a crawler 20 different ways.

http://www.crawlerinnovations.com/

Lightbulb Update

Well I did not waste anytime getting to work on this rig. I completed it Friday night and I ran three battery packs through it Saturday. All I can say is WOW! It's extremely stable and predictable. It's very balanced and handles more like a well built 2.2 berg. The revo shocks do not allow too much articulation and I really like it that way. The tires are a bit too tall, but I don't have money to make plowboys or meat grinders yet. I also plan to see if Pro-Line does come out with new Super tires in early '09 like they said they would. Hopefully Panther will jump in the mix as well by then. Unfortunately our local club only runs 2.2 for competitions, so I won't be able to compete with this rig anytime soon. Here are some completed details and pictures:

Wheelbase is 17.5 inches
    Track width is 14 inches
    Belly clearance is 4.5 inches
    Weight is 13 pounds 9 ounces

Give 20 people the same chassis & axles, and they'll build a crawler 20 different ways.

Re: SWuper build #2

Looks great Eddie. Hopefully you will get to compete with it at some point.
    2008 TXRCRCA 2.2 Winner Class State Champion
    2009 TXRCRCA 1.9 Winner Class 1st Loser
    2010 TXRCRCA 1.9 Winner Class State Champion

Looks good! You think that you'll have any troubles with those outrunners getting caught on rocks?

Quote Originally Posted by onespeeder
    Looks great Eddie. Hopefully you will get to compete with it at some point.
    Thanks Mike :thumbsup: I'm sure at some point I will get the chance. Maybe once the new tires are released and 2.2 gets stale, the super class will gain interest in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyH
    Looks good! You think that you'll have any troubles with those outrunners getting caught on rocks?
    Thanks Jeremy :thumbsup: I have already ran 5 battery packs through it at three different local spots. I have had no issues with the BM16 outrunners getting caught on any rocks. My son and I have more trouble with the crawlmaster outrunners in our GC2's getting snagged. I really like this set up. The BM16's have plenty or power and drag brake. The hold is so strong that I can use them for dig if need be.

Yeah, those BMs have a damn good drag brake! More than any other BL motor I have seen.

BTW, I dig the old school ShagginWagon...I've got one under my 14er that I will be rebuilding soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyH
    Yeah, those BMs have a damn good drag brake! More than any other BL motor I have seen.

BTW, I dig the old school ShagginWagon...I've got one under my 14er that I will be rebuilding soon!!
    Yeah these BM16's have an excellent drag brake compared to a CrawlMaster. :thumbsup:

I'm diggin the ShagginWagon too. This rig crawls very well and would do even better with some plowboys. I like the strength and versatility of the SW2. I considered a NN chassis or even the AKRCC chassis but they just lacked the tuning options and strength of the SW2. Plus, SW2's dominate the Colorado super scene and are strong in the California Super scene as well.

looks good Eddie. Maybe we will get a super class going one day. If we do I will rebuild the Mountain Goat and see what setup works best. :mrgreen: I like a longer and taller setup myself but I think yours will do very good. :thumbsup:
    TEAM BWD Driver
    Team Holmes Hobbies Driver
    Team Anger Inc..Driver

Team JWalker Designs Driver

It has been a while since I updated this build. The SWuper had a few issues and had been sitting for the last few months. Partly because I was lazy and mostly because we do not run a Super Class in the East Texas Chapter of TXRCRCA.

Well the Texas State Finals for TXRCRCA was last weekend and I wanted to compete for the Super Class Open Championship. With that in mind I set out to fix SWuper and get it running. First thing to be addressed was this front case:

That is what happens with BM16 brushless outrunners, 3S, and good traction:twisted:. It pulled the counter gear shaft completely out of position:shock:.

The next issue of contention was the steering. The RC4WD mounting plates are good for servo mounting but they are not stable. Under a load the servo plate would flex or rotate out of position. I have seen others make a bracket or rod and attach it to the back of the servo but my servos do not have that mount. So I came up with the idea to cut aluminum angle and form it into a plate support:

The super took a fall at State which why the servo is sitting crooked but from this view you can see the plate/bracket I made, bolted to the RC4WD plate.

The bracket completely cured the plate flex / rotation:mrgreen:. It also gives the front axle that much more strength.8)