Thread: Project build - TRX Rustler

Project build - TRX Rustler

Looking for a r/c project to fill my time. Came up with this. Decided on a conversion Traxxas Rustler I've had for years into a sort of trail runner. Scaler as much as I can make it. Stripped out all of the electronics. As a start fit up a set of DuraTrax Scaler tires mounted to Pro-Line 'Titus' 2.2 bead locks. At 6" diameter, first thought was the tires were too tall, but they gave it the look I wanted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's what I started with: a replica street version of the drag racing Rustler I ran at the 2006 R/C drag racing world finals. Decided it was redundant to the original. It became the donor chassis for what I am calling the "TRX Global Explorer". Two good things help make the transfer to a semi-scaler: (1) rear diff is locked using J-B Weld; and (2) rear swing arms are narrowed 1" on each side for a total of 2", bring the rear wheels in closer to the body for added realism.

Right away, it became apparent the body needed raising. Longer body posts up front and a custom aluminum body post bracket and extended body post at the rear did the trick. Fit to the rear deck is a Pro-Line cargo rack that's been in my pit box, like forever. Also visible attached under the front body post is a fabricated FG mounting tab for a RC4WD LED light set.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by low crawl; 12-02-2016 at 04:25 PM.