Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SgtSteve gets on board

Lightbulb SgtSteve gets on board

Well after getting to drive the MRC this weekend (sorry I dont remember the name of the owner, very nice guy though) I bought one. Its used but never used outside, dont have pics yet, or a name for it, but it will definatly be a comp rig. I think all I will need for it is a motor and tires, maybe cvd's too. I think it has alum knuckles already. I still need to do some homework on what upgrades to do though, but hope to have it ready for the April comp. I would have waited to post this until I actually got it but was too excited and had fell victim to premature posting.

Team Manager
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar

Re: SgtSteve gets on board

I think the must have stuff is...
    alum knuckles and C's if they aren't on there already
    Holmes torquemaster mini or equivalent
    1/10th servo
    New chassis
    Lipo
    Tires
    Shocks
    Chassis

You can certainly compete with it stock but I think you'll find it lacking pretty quickly.
    LOCKED UP RC
    LockedUpRC.com

I know it has a bigger servo, but I do need to get shocks/tires/chassis/motor. I guess for shocks alot of people use the late model ones...

Team Manager

sweeeeeeeeeet! welcome to the addiction!
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

It was mine that you drove.

For now I do these mods...

- motor
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLPV1&P=SM

Or

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWSV7&P=SM

-Tires I had good luck with losi claws or bashers.

-Cvds
    These are must, you need all the steering you can get.

-lipo
    Either few small packs or you can get thunder power 1320mah. Which Is what I'm running and I ran 4 courses with power to spare.

Later on you can get a chassis, But for now I would say drive it, get use to drive it and see what you like and don't like. Then you see what chassis will fit your driving style.
    At midwest I got drive a mini GC2 chassis, That is one sweet chassis that for sure works!! You can ask onespeeder,he has a mini GC2 chassis.
    I have 2 mrc's,the one you drove is DNA mini slingshot,it also a been a good chassis. But I like to get GC2 try out for the one and see how they do against each other.

Sorry Eric, Im terrible with names. I might just get the GC2 chassis, that way I can return the test drive favor to you and see how you like it. Most likely though, the April comp will be on the stock chassis. I am going to look up those motors and compare them to the HH mini torque master. Tires, probably gonna do one of the two you suggested, dont like the idea of cutting up panthers, since my 2.2 needs them too. Thanks again for the test ride, thats all it took to get me hooked and for the suggestions.

Team Manager

Welcome, Steve! :) Also, put a set of steel axle and transmission lockers at the top of your list, especially after you get a Holmes motor. Those plastic parts will strip in nothing flat!

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

So much for being cheap to get comp ready...kidding, Ive looked up most of those parts and they are reasonably priced. I have some wheely king axles I am going to sell, so that should help some.

Team Manager

Yeah, there are definitely lots of things to upgrade, but nearly all are pretty darn cheap in the grand scheme. I also made a set of functional beadlocks out of a set of stock MRC wheels. If you're interested, I could make you a really good deal on a set if it'll help you get up and running for the next comp. Just let me know...

T

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Steve, no problem. I forgot about the steel lockers for both axle diffs and trans. if you get on ebay>rc's search for losi crawler, I found bunch of losi parts for pretty cheap.

Those motors blow the hh motor out the water. Onespeeder has the that trinity cobalt motor, that thing has some wheelspeed and torque!!

I thinking about swapping to novak system, I seen few in action and impress from what I seen.

It may be while before Austin has more the mini GC2 chassis.